ELIGIBLE SCHOOL LEAVER PROGRAM
The aim of the Eligible School Leaver Program (ESLP) is to assist & prepare students with disabilities for the transition of leaving school & entering mainstream workforce. DVJS assists by helping students develop REAL skills, gain REAL experience & hopefully obtain ongoing employment in their chosen field with a supportive employer. Many school leavers are faced with difficulty finding a job when they leave school a time that is very stressful for them & their families. By linking with DVJS before leaving school, this anxiety can be overcome with 1:1 Case Management & support & an intensive program designed to obtain employment prior to leaving school.
DVJS works with students in their final year of schooling by assisting them overcome barriers, build confidence & work awareness. DVJS still relies on opportunities within the labour market. DVJS cannot guarantee employment will be obtained prior to the student leaving school.
How DVJS works with students
- Tailored case management to the student to support them with any issues or barriers identified at the workplace.
- Career planning, specifically taking into consideration the students goals, health & associated ability & limitations.
- Employment related assistance based on excellent knowledge of local employers & community services. examples of support include; Assistance with job interview/ work clothing, travel training to & from employment, arranging workplace modifications & wage subsidies & where necessary funding of short term courses & licenses related to job entry.
- Arrange work trials & placements with suitable employers to gain work skills & confidence.
- Provide on-the-job training & support.
- Assistance in accessing Traineeship & Apprenticeship schemes.
Eligible School Leaver Students are those who
- Are at least 17 years of age & have completed year 10 & wish to explore post school options.
- In their final year of schooling (Conditions apply if not in final year).
- Are able to work a minimum of 8 hours a week & not currently employed for 8 hours or more.
- Attract additional educational funding due to their disability or enrolled at a Special School or recently completed a Transition to Work Program (special needs).
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact us for a chat.
Please open the following documents for more information.
Eligible School Leavers Information Sheet (Printable)